Saturday, March 01, 2008

greasy paper bags



In Slaughterhouse-five, there's a passage where Vonnegut describes the rattling breaths of the dying colonel as sounding like they were coming from greasy paper bags. My sister always reminds me of this whenever I have a respiratory illness without fail.

I'm at my computer today, so I must be better. Or the butt-prints on my bed and couch have to air out. Anyway, I misdiagnosed myself with the flu and it's actually pneumonia, so here's a pretty graphic of a chest X-ray. I finally broke down and went to a doctor Wednesday. He found my flu theory intriguing but said my lungs said no.

Today is the first day my temperature is below 100, so I'm really happy about that. I might be going back to work Monday, but I'm going to play that one by ear - I'm still taking the "good" cough syrup that you shouldn't drive if you're taking. I am studiously avoiding anything to do with work - I am going to turn my computer off in a minute because that's just not restful. I want to stay in my invalid world of white bread toast and tea and watch more nice, safe reruns on TV for just a little longer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

crap! hey, next time you log onto the internets let me know if you want me to run by with anything (meds, food, whatever).

i'm so sorry to hear it wasn't just the flu.

3/01/2008 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

awww, thanks! I'm actually a whole lot better today. No fever! No aches! Only occasional coughing fits! I'm kicking it back a notch and doing plain old Tussin cough syrup (yes, the Tussin - see the MC Chris video on YouTube) and see no real earthly reason why I shouldn't return to work tomorrow. Aside from the steaming pile awaiting me, of course.

One curious side effect - I am guessing/hoping it's the antibiotics - I have NO APPETITE WHATSOEVER. I've barely eaten solid food in the past seven days. One PB&J (on Wonder bread! why am I not dead yet?) a day since Thursday, that's it. I see food on TV or in magazines and I recall enjoying eating a great deal, but I can't seem to think of anything I want, so I don't bother eating at all. Now, I can see my cheekbones again, which is nice, but I am really looking forward to enjoying food again! Way to kick-start the diet I am 99% sure I am going to be put on when I go to my check-up on the 12th. Ooog, it's all water anyway.

3/02/2008 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous dr. dre said...

glad to hear you are doing better. and yes, getting sick is the easiest way to diet...but once that appetite kicks back in...oh man. i eat like crazy after i get better.

good luck with the dr. appt. i'm gonna make one for an annual physical soon. ugh.

3/03/2008 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger Sister K said...

oh feel better!!!! maybe you can sign your x-ray and sell it on ebay for a profit as art :)

3/03/2008 11:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home