Tuesday, February 05, 2008

planning ahead

when I am forty (I am REALLY planning ahead, you know - I plan to be 34 for many years to come!) I have decided I will take a nice trip, or, as I like to call it, "a REAL vacation" - i.e., one that doesn't involve me crashing on someone's couch but actual hotels and a sense of freedom to do whatever one pleases.

But where? Money is no object - yet, since I haven't any and I don't know what this kind of thing costs. It's a bit dizzying to think of what to do.

So far my contenders are:

1. Walking in Scotland. I love the landscape, and walking would give me a sense of purpose.

2. Alaska during the aurora borealis. A bit trite, but I'd like to be someplace with some semblance of wildness before all these places are gone. And the lack of light pollution would make this really amazing.

3. Rent a villa near Lake Como. For no really good reason but the food, the scenery, and the wine.

4. Fiji. Why the hell not? But only if I can stay in one of those private huts on the beach.

5. Tanzania. I'd like to see, if not climb, Kilimanjaro. Partway. Just a little.

6. Sweden. In July. Midnight sun, berry-picking, and all that blond wood.

7. Tokyo. At the Park Hyatt, the hotel in Lost in Translation. It's truly stunning!

8. This may sound utterly pedestrian, but a rental in the Berkshires or the Adirondacks on a lake. A nice rental with a fireplace and a boat and a bike at my disposal. I could go either way with that - it could be fun in either winter or summer.

9. I'd be curious to take a "water cure" someplace old-world.


I'm taking suggestions, you know.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I come along for #s 1 and 8?

2/06/2008 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

Hmmm, can you come along?
Well, if you weren't anonymous, I'd get a better idea of if I want company... :-P

2/07/2008 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger karen said...

What a great quest! All of the ideas sound great - it's a good thing you have a bit of time to consider and choose...or maybe just line them up in an order to take on one-by-one?

2/20/2008 10:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home