Wednesday, December 19, 2007

holiday treats

The party was on Monday, but today is the first day my head is on right enough to narrate, so I may not have all the details right. Or maybe I won't really document it all here, just the recipes for what seemed to work so well.

We had a hootenanny for the cool kids at the office, my coworker who just moved to my complex and I - she hosted appetizers and a very fine lasagna, then we all trooped to my place for dessert and white Russians. A lot of stuff happened in between - too much to relate really, but suffice it to say a walloping good time was had by all. The last guest who intended to go home left at 2, and in the morning I had non-driving revelers on every flat surface in my living room .

The star of the show was the red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, helped a bit by a much heavier hand with the cocoa powder (seriously. who only uses a teaspoon? Make it more like 2/3 cup).

I also created cups of mousse au chocolat and some fruit galettes that are surprisingly popular as party leftovers even today, day #3. Those are so easy you don't need a recipe: thaw a package of frozen puff pastry and cut each sheet into 9 even squares. Top each square with thinly sliced firm fruit such as apples or pears, then drizzle each with melted unsalted butter and a teaspoon or so of sugar. Pop into a 400 degree oven until the pastry is browned, about 10 minutes.

Bon appetit!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sister K said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...happy new year! (good thing i read this AFTER the stomach bug i just had ;)

1/02/2008 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home