Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Miss Match 11

So, when last I said anything I was mentioning that there was a Match guy I was interested in, I believe. We had been emailing each other for a solid week and had graduated to texting and also had a lengthy phone conversation. He is very cute in his pictures, seems funny and charming but not too off the wall, and everything was very promising. We set a date to meet and see how we felt in person.

The day arrived and I got a text asking to postpone the meeting. It was a big news day and, not unusual for him, he had to work a double shift. Fine, I said, not wanting to appear bitchy. And then, there was nothing.

I'm not a stickler for manners on any given day. Use whatever fork you want. As long as you're not covered in what you're eating, go ahead and eschew the napkin if you will. But it did seem to me odd that in asking to "postpone" my new friend hadn't offered any alternate plans. And as I waited, it became clear he had no intention of doing so. Annoyed, I wrote a scant two lines and asked if he was still interested. A few days later, I received a reply that he had a lot on his plate and that he would like to meet, "eventually."

There is a window of opportunity when one is participating in any kind of romance, and especially the electronic kind. The sparks that may have flown as you emailed each other will grow cold very quickly without a meeting in the flesh to make things real, unless you maintain contact in another way. Well, we missed our window.

Mr TV News Guy (okay, he runs the satellite truck, actually) sends me a text every so often in the guise of "staying in touch" still. I respond, but I haven't gotten too excited that these messages mean anything. It's a little sad - well, disappointing anyway. But I've had an "occasional" companion before, and it consisted of a lot of broken dates and vague or superficially nice communiques. He was a nice kisser, but in the end I wanted more. So I'm moving on, and Mr. TV News can either go live or stop the feed.

3 Comments:

Blogger karen said...

There's a term for women involved with men who work on live shows: production widow. Seems a term with slightly more clout than is required for a guy you hadn't met in the flesh, but the idea is the same. More on Mr. (Master?) Cute Hazel-Green Eyes!

9/26/2007 04:16:00 PM  
Anonymous sister k said...

oh no! i was wondering what happened to that guy! ugh. but it made for a great last line of your blog :)

9/26/2007 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

Mr. Cute Hazel Green Eyes (or MCHGE for brevity) is kind of a blip on the radar. It's fun to think about having fun at parties and whatnot, but like young Scott and the rest of their crew, MCHGE doesn't actually date so much as he shows up and hangs out in proximity with members of the opposite sex. Being alone with a member of the opposite sex, let alone doing so deliberately for the purpose of doing anything but coupling, does not occur to these guys. Oh, and MCHGE appears to be by and large homeless; he holds down a full-time job and nominally lives with his parents, but spends most nights crashing on couches. This is not the stuff of romance, let alone a regular gig.

I shall take my fun where I can get it, and look for more lasting partnership elsewhere.

9/27/2007 08:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home