Sunday, September 30, 2007

everything comes back in the end

My check engine light? It's on again. I'm glad it's not flashing, but I guess something really is wrong. Here I go again...

So I decided to play hookey from my life today. I am going to stay in and try to write something rather than going on a scheduled group trip to Philadelphia to go see the Rodin Museum and the Eastern State Penitentiary.

Why would I decide not to do something so fun, you ask? For the same reason I skipped Scott's 80s party last night. I am TIRED. I get really stressed out by being around people, I've discovered, and my recovery period is in direct proportion to how long I've been around them. Working a second job increases the stress level, because the time I would have to do things during the week is used up. I have to cram more leisure into what time I have left, which sometimes leaves me with a feeling of "Damn it, I have to have fun or else!" And, of course, all of the activities I choose for myself are optional. I forget that a lot.

It's funny that I should be so worn out by people. I've taken the Myers-Briggs test more than once and been told I was an extrovert, but time and again I do classic introvert moves, like hibernate when I get stressed out. (The definition of extrovert/introvert we are working with is that an extrovert is energized by being with people and an introvert is drained by it.) I think I am both. When I am with people, I perk up and get involved in the group, but it takes a lot out of me and I have to balance it out with time alone to recharge. Unfortunately it means I miss out on things I wish I could do in the name of my sanity. I guess that's a draw - I get to not be crazy, but I'm not out having fun every minute of every day. Huh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply adjust your definition. Extroverts have greater endurance in social situations. Introverts has little tolerance. It is odd how a species described has 'social' can have such trouble being so.

9/30/2007 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

Meh, I'm not that concerned about the label. I did find a new term, too - "ambivert." According to good ol' Wikipedia, "An ambivert is normally comfortable with groups and enjoys social interaction, but also relishes time alone and away from the crowd."

10/01/2007 08:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home