Sunday, June 17, 2007

reunited and it feels so good

What, for heaven's sake, can I write in the tiny space on the back of the registration form for my 20th high school reunion that would adequately sum up what I've been doing since 1987?

"Got the hell out of Dodge" doesn't take that much space, I suppose...

The closer the day gets the less I look forward to it. Fortunately, I will have every right to get piss-drunk, and I plan to warn my mother, whom I will be staying with, accordingly.

As you can see, I do not have all kinds of nostalgia for my high school days. I was a miserable teen and I couldn't wait to get away. Why am I going, you ask? Because it seems like some sort of rite of passage, a useful way to connect with my past and be that much happier about who I am now and how far I've come. Also, I promised my good friend Jennifer I'd be her memory for when she can't remember names.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

I missed my 20th reunion (it was in nowhere, Illinois) and I sort of wish I had gone.

I was also a miserable teen and hated almost everyone in my high school, but I also felt this weird desire to attend this event.

Maybe I just wanted to go to see everyone older and balder and fatter? I knew that my career choice wasn't going to impress anyone. So I'm still not sure why I wanted to go.

There were lots of pics posted and I must say most of my classmates have NOT aged well. A few looked really good but the vast majority had indeed gotten wrinkly, fat, and (the guy at least) bald. I think Midwestern living is hard on humans.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you have a splendid time. Please blog about the event!

6/17/2007 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger karen said...

There may be a host of blog reports to read on the event! It seems that, while Chris had a reasonably ok time in high school, he's oddly ornery about the reunion. Maybe he wishes I would take over making plans for it? Or maybe he wishes his mom would not plan his time otherwise that weekend? Could also be that he's hoping to get piss-drunk and something in the back of his head tells him (quite accurately) that there's no way in hell his wife will ever find the way from the reunion location to his parents' house with a drunk navigator. Andre, if we end up in nowhere, IL, I'll take a picture for you.

6/18/2007 08:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home