Tuesday, June 19, 2007

miss match 5

Well, so last night I had drinks with a guy I'd approached on match whom I thought looked cute and sounded fun. It took us 2 weeks to get in touch with each other (phone tag) and synch schedules, which I barely noticed because I've been pretty busy. In between we weren't really in touch at all, which I figured was fine because I just wanted to check him out in person.

So we drank and talked amiably enough for a couple of hours at the always-nice Harvest Moon. It was light chatter with very little direction and, I noted, very little in the way of personal exploration, or chemistry for that matter. He dodged my questions about him, and asked zero questions about me. He cut it short by saying he had to get up in the morning and lamely shook my hand on the street corner near where I had parked, and dragged out the deathless phrase "I'll call you."

Guys, guys, guys. Let me tell you something.

ONE thing you do NOT have to do is protect a gal's ego - and you WON'T look chivalrous and polite by the way - by pretending that you're going to do something you have no intention of doing. It just confirms that you're a doofus and we're glad you won't be calling.

5 Comments:

Anonymous sister k said...

was that the chemistry.com guy? what happened to him? or was he that great? ;)

6/20/2007 12:40:00 AM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

Oog, chemistry.com guy got kicked to the virtual curb...it's probably cruel of me, but I just decided that if my profile says that words and being verbal are a big turn-on and he can't even play along initially, it's just not worth it. Also: I just don't think me doing all the work to make conversation is fair.

6/20/2007 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger karen said...

A co-worker of mine who met and married his wife using an on-line matching service has said that when he found himself on a boring date, he would purposely act obnoxious. Not rude, exactly, just would behave in ways he thought would keep the date short and would let the girl be grateful she'd never see him again. I can't decide if that was merciful of him or not.

6/20/2007 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

I may start doing that myself if the lame and boring emails don't stop.

6/21/2007 02:04:00 PM  
Anonymous sister k said...

acting obnoxious prob. got him more dates!

6/21/2007 08:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home