Monday, June 18, 2007

miss match 4

Bibliofilly has a date, or at least is meeting someone in the actual flesh, tonight.

This is a welcome relief because although I am pursuing other "leads" as well as this lucky bachelor, I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the e-repartee.

I joined a site called Chemistry, which is Match's answer to eHarmony. You take a bunch of vaguely psychological tests, fill out a profile, then wait to be matched according to your test results and who you say you're looking for. So I filled out the necessary forms and waited. And I waited. And finally, I got someone saying they were interested in me. We jumped through the website's hoops, which require you to first fill out a sliding scale of relationship essentials (ranking the importance of things like personal hygiene, level of ambition, sense of humor, etc), then wait for the other person to do the same. Then you review these and move on to the next little task, asking the other person some canned questions and waiting for their questions to you. Then, and only then, are you allowed to email them in your own voice. Today, after all that hoop-jumping, I got an email from my potential beau, and this is ALL it said:

How are you doing? I hope all is well. Have you been a member long? Do anything exciting this weekend?

So, uh...this is romance?

Forgive me for being the least little bit picky. I know that making a move is hard. I just think that an email to a potential sweetheart should sound a little less like a letter to Grandma and a little more like you are willing to explore new horizons and get to know someone new. Bibliofilly wants to be wooed! I have nothing to work with in that email...

3 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

"How are you doing? I hope all is well. Have you been a member long? Do anything exciting this weekend?"

A possible reply:

"Fine. It is. Not long. Yes, I spent the weekend answering EXCITING questions like yours. I'm taking some ludes right now to calm down."

6/18/2007 02:17:00 PM  
Anonymous sister k said...

i hope he's better than a 3rd grade penpal in person!!!! maybe you'll be happily surprised :) GL..I admire your willingness!

6/18/2007 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Maybe you should reconsider the boring guy in Spain? At least he has nice scenery and good food on his side...

6/19/2007 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home