Sunday, February 11, 2007

what I'm reading today

Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes.

I adore Marian Keyes. She writes "chick lit," but it's not about women who just have hilarious misadventures and light romantic involvements that always end cheerfully; her characters have depth and real problems, sometimes serious ones (in a previous novel, Rachel's Holiday, the "holiday" refers to a stint in drug rehab). And plus, she's Irish, so you can read her prose with a lilt in mind as you run across terms like "banjaxed."

I'm having a right larf reading this one, about a woman in cosmetics PR who is letting go of her story bit by bit about how she met her great love, Aidan, and precisely how she came to be badly injured (at the beginning, we know she's got many broken bones and stitches, but the "reveal" does not take place all at once). The story is engaging and feels "true."

Not as bad for you as junk food, but not as much hard work as great literature.

2 Comments:

Blogger karen said...

I'll have to check out Marian Keyes; I don't think I've read anything by her before!

2/11/2007 06:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Colleen said...

I love that book and have read everything Marian Keyes has written. She writes amazing chick lit for thinking women!

2/28/2007 08:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home