Wednesday, June 21, 2006

sign of the times

I finally did it. I threw out the vast archive of notebooks I'd been writing in as journals since 1994.

From pillar to post these things followed me in ever-growing numbers, because I felt they might help me someday in my writing to "give insight" into certain life events. Well, I sat down and began reading some of my treasured notebooks, and I was bored. These heartbreaking revelations and stunning insights sounded whiny and self-indulgent, and I concluded that I would be mighty embarrassed if they ever fell into the hands of family members (or whoever else will break in to my apartment to find my body being licked by my starving cats).

Besides, I have my blog now. Why not whine and be self-indulgent in front of all cyberspace?

At the same time, I also threw away the folder containing all my most important papers from undergrad. They can't take my degree away now! And anyway, when am I ever going to sit around and read my ideas on why Madame Bovary was a proto-feminist?

3 Comments:

Blogger karen said...

I'm impressed! Somewhere, amid the pile of boxes we just can't seem to empty out, I still have a few journals I have not been able to part with. Maybe I'll use you as my inspiration next time I come across them in the attic...

6/24/2006 02:18:00 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

I think just throwing them away would be anticlimactic for me... when I get rid of mine, I'll need to burn them in a raging bonfire.

6/24/2006 08:22:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

Good idea! I wish I'd thought of that, but you know, the fact that all of that angst and drama will now languish in a landfill next to someone's coffee grounds and used Kleenex is kind of satifying too.

6/25/2006 05:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home