Saturday, June 17, 2006

Love at a sensible 50 mph

I recent developed a 10-minute crush on someone during my commute home that was of such intensity I can feel it now.

As I pulled out onto 22, I saw him: a nerd on a brand-new Vespa.

At first, I thought, how annoying, how pretentious and vile, thinking of the hipsters in Williamsburg and the Lower East Side cluttering the sidewalks with their little European trophies.

But here, in New Jersey, with no one around to marvel at how clever he is, this man was obviously riding a Vespa because he really wanted to, and maybe he was even doing it for altruistic reasons, like saving gas and helping the environment!

His little messenger bag flapped majestically in the breeze as he valiantly tried to keep up with traffic speed, and his Hush Puppies looked so vulnerable as the Vespa teetered slightly. I wanted to wave, to shout a greeting and a word of encouragement, but I had to keep my own eyes on the brake lights in front of me. My lane advanced before his, alas, and I lost sight of him somewhere in Bound Brook.

I actually considered publishing a missed connections message on Craigslist to look for him, but now I'm just thankful for the memory. New Jersey is never what you think it's going to be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aubrey said...

Great post. I don't blame you - unpretentious Vespa owners can really reel a girl in.

6/17/2006 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

Thanks!

Unpretentious Vespa owners = few and far between. Hence the appeal, I suppose.

6/19/2006 11:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home