Thursday, May 25, 2006

Roller Queen

Inspired by a chat I was having with a pal about his cluttered living space, I went home last night and cleaned the hell out of my closets. I am very clutter-conscious, probably due to having grown up as the offspring of a collector mom and a packrat dad, and will eventually move someplace that will accomodate me and my things more comfortably.

All the same, one thing I cannot seem to part with are my rollerblades. I have great hope that this will be the summer I will get on them and get good at it. Is this *hopelessly* 1998 or is it still OK?

Up for grabs: Singer sewing machine circa 1974. Works beautifully, but I have little use for it. I think once upon a time I had ambitions for making curtains and home decor items. I have since given up on this as manual dexterity is required. Anyway, I really do want it to go to a good home. Offers, anyone?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's your "pal"! J really wants to take up sewing...any interest in cluttering up our already cluttered apartment with that Singer sewing machine?

If so, I'll see if J wants one from that vintage. The old ones are probably much more durable that the ones you can buy today at Target.

In-line skates are kind of passe', but who cares? Put them on and get out there. As long as you aren't wearing some sort of hot pink early 90s spandex "workout outfit."

5/27/2006 08:51:00 AM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

Tee hee...no spandex here!
I just have to go out in the parking lot and ignore the attention of the pack of kids who live here. No doubt they have never seen the likes of it before. I have to say though - in 1998 when I bought these skates, I spent a wad of cash on them at Paragon Sports - probably the REAL reason I won't part with them!

Yesterday I dug into the wardrobe and removed items I have been keeping but not wearing merely out of pride (the vintage fabric dress that has always been too tight in the shoulders, the Japanese robe my mom gave me that it itchy and hot, the mens' shirt I had just because it came from Savile Row in London). It felt amazing!

Today I empty the hall closet and re-organize, then a trip to the Goodwill to get rid of everything before remorse sets in. There's still a chance the skates will go.

The sewing machine was asked about first by a former coworker for her mom, but I will keep you posted. It really is a good machine - unlike today's all plastic models, it's all metal, and very solid. It has some proto-electronic features but like cars of that era, it is essentially all mechanical, which means it can be worked on and not thrown out when something goes wrong. It does many different zigzag stitches and will buttonhole if one is patient. Besides, it's a groovy mint green color.

5/28/2006 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! If we end up not getting the machine that's cool...it's not like we really have room for it anyway! You have seen the pics that prove this. :O

Good luck cleaning out the rest of your apt.

5/28/2006 02:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home