Sunday, May 28, 2006

In the house, dog

Next door neighbors have acquired a dog, which I am sure I made mention of already. The other day I saw it off the leash in front of neighbor's apartment. It is a young pit bull.

This morning I was awakened by the sound of the neighbors' 2 year old on the balcony with the puppy. The child was yelling commands at the pup which it clearly did not understand.

Is anyone else as annoyed by this as I am?

The dog is clearly being raised without discipline and being allowed to develop bad habits for which as the puppy gets older and is no longer so goshdarn cute (and it is DAMN cute), the owner will attempt to punish the dog for, which may or may not involve physical punishment, which will probably lead to aggressive behavior in the dog, a breed known for aggression. This is ghetto fabulous.

I just finished reading an article in last week's New Yorker (yeah, I'm a little behind in my reading) about Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer," and was struck by how little these people next door have thought about what dog ownership means. You can't just offer a dog affection and food. Discipline is actually something a dog needs to have from the get-go if you want him to respect you. At any rate, the stories of mis-managed dogs in the article were pretty incredible. I feel like I am probably living next door to one.

So I need to decide what to do. Clearly I need to notify the management of our complex that the dog is there at all, because dogs are seriously NOT allowed. What they will do about it, I have no idea. I wish I was able to confront these idiots about how wrong what they are doing is, but I'm a wuss. Although it is universally known among residents here that the management turns a blind eye on cats, strictly speaking the policy is "No Pets" and I could be challenged by my neighbor. I love my fur children, but I love having a roof over my head more. I do think, however, that the management will not enjoy hearing about the dog turds that will be turning up on the landscaping soon, since the neighbor doesn't understand the purpose of a poop scoop.

Have a lovely Sunday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous dre said...

God I'm sick of apartment living. I SO want a house! Not that all this desire is getting me any closer to home-ownership.

Anyway, good luck with these morons. Can you move to a bigger apt. farther away from them?

One day I'll actually get a bloooooger acct, I swear.

5/28/2006 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

I am riding the fence about moving to a bigger place. It's $100 a month more to get a larger apt. in this complex, and that's $1200 for the year that could be going towards me actually getting to do things I want to do, like travel and get out of debt. If I move, then I'll be broke and whiny and forced to stay home all the time.

Doggie update: the puppy was on the front lawn OFF THE LEASH when I poked my head out to toss a bag of trash. It ran over to me the second the door opened. Oh yeah, the landlords are SO going to hear about this.

5/28/2006 02:46:00 PM  
Anonymous dre' said...

hmmm...maybe you should just keep cleaning out your place (to make more room) and stay put. It sounds like the $ you save could go to very good use.

5/29/2006 09:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home