Friday, May 12, 2006

Hot dog beginnings

I haven't made it official here, but my goal is to try 10 new hot dog eateries this summer. Secondary goal: soft-serve ice cream.

New Jersey is chock full of marvelous Americana, and what could be more American than a good roadside dog in the summertime?

You must understand that I am an Upstate New Yorker by birth and we had some of the world's best hot dogs, so I know whereof I speak. Check out Ted's website and tell me they don't look appealing. http://www.tedsonline.com/

Ted's hot sauce is to die for and to my mind a charcoal-grilled dog with a casing that snaps is the best kind there is, nestled in the bun with chopped raw onions and a dill pickle spear alongside your Weber's horseradish mustard. And, of course, accompanied by an icy loganberry drink (sorry, if you're not from Buffalo you wouldn't understand). Well, to me that's hot dog home base, but I am eager to see what else awaits me. I've had and loved dirty-water dogs in Manhattan, even compared and contrasted Papaya King vs. Gray's Papaya (hey, 2 dogs and a drink for 3 bucks is a REAL NY bargain no matter who you buy it from), and now I'm ready to take on the Garden State. I will report on my progress as time allows.Oh, and suggestions are welcome.

Who wants to join me?


2 Comments:

Blogger karen said...

There's a great road-side hotdog truck in a little non-road/non-driveway next to Teterboro airport in Moonachie, NJ. Best thing is that it's across from the "million dollar car-wash" - where $15 gets you a full-service inside/outside/tire shine clean. Nothing better than a good roadside hot dog...unless it's a good roadside hot dog with a sparkly car!

5/12/2006 04:47:00 PM  
Blogger bibliofilly said...

that's it, it's going on the list.
Little Rio must be clean! And hopefully my viking helmet will get vacuumed too.

5/13/2006 12:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home