Monday, May 29, 2006

Food that's hard to mess up

I just made this up. Dead easy and can be high fat, low fat, no fat, or vegan, depending on your needs or desires. It's kind of like a pie. Kind of like a casserole. I guess I could call it Tortilla Layers.


1. Line a baking dish with tortillas. Corn or flour - your pick. Let them come up the sides of the dish to form a "crust."

2. Spread over this some beans, either whole or refried (I use a bean paste concoction of my own making which is drained canned black beans and pink beans whirled together in the food processor with some salsa, cilantro, cumin and Louisiana sauce. Makes a great dip on its own, too).

3. Over this, some cooked rice of your choosing (I used plain brown rice, but you could do yellow rice or white rice or what have you).

4. Over this, some salsa or taco sauce for flavor.

5.Over this, if you desire, ground taco meat (I used turkey; go ahead and use pork or beef or vegan taco crumbles).

6. Next, cheese (I used sharp cheddar; could be jack or colby too).

7.Next, jalapeno slices (or the pepper of your choice).

8.Black olives if you like them.

9.Top with a covering layer of tortillas and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the tortillas on top get nicely browned.

10. Serve with chopped onions, more peppers, and sour cream if you like it (I will probably use plain yogurt, since that's what's in the fridge)

1 Comments:

Anonymous dre said...

This sound delicious!

It reminds me of an easy reciped my friend Pablo taught me in Austin. It doesn't have a name, so I'll just call it enchiladas verde casserole.

Husk and wash about 2 pounds of tomatillos. Steam them in a cheap veggie steamer until the skin cracks (but not longer because it will be a big mess).

Get those hot babies in a blender or food processor. Add some fresh cilantro (according to taste...I like a lot of this), about 2 tablespoons of cumin, a chopped small onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, and a couple of chopped jalapenos (or not if you don't like the hot stuff). Blend it but leave it somewhat chunky.

Roll some stuff in some corn or flour tortillas and line them in the bottom of a baking dish (I like the Pyrex variety myself). You can fill the tortillas with stuff like mashed black beans, pinto beans, rice, beef, chicken, fish, cheese, corn, or other veggies. Use what you like. You can even fill different tortillas with different stuff if you are wacky like that.

Here you can add a layer of cheese (or not) and add another layer of filled tortillas (or not). It kind of depends on how hungry you are and how much filling you have to use up.

Pour the verde sauce on top of the tortillas. Save some verde sauce for another day if the baking dish is about to overflow Add cheese on top if you like. Put in the over at 350 or so for about 20 minutes.

Serve with sour cream if you are into that.

Easy and quite tasty!

5/29/2006 06:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home