Sunday, April 23, 2006

FINALLY my Netflix queue is yielding up some good stuff. It's hard to find good things when you've seen or stated an opinion on over 2300 movies. For reals, that's how many I've rated. I think I am on the verge of breaking their Recommendation-o-meter. They keep offerering me TV shows on DVD because they're running out of movies remotely like what I like.

Friday night I watched The Aristocrats. First of all, let me just say that I can't decide if I love or dislike Penn Jillette. I mean, I love his voice. He can narrate the phone book for me and I would be happy. Right now, I have a low tolerance for tall overweight long-haired smartasses (q.v. my dinner date experience), so that may be clouding my judgement. Nonetheless I am ever so pleased that he has seen fit to document some of the more interesting aspects of show biz that really are historical.

Two observations: 1. everybody loves to hate Gilbert Gottfried, but I think he is motherfuckin' hilarious. His delivery will always crack me up. 2. Bob Saget is a man of mystery.

The Aristocrats would make a very funny drinking game. For every reference to fisting (hey, this is an ADULT blog, and I'm only mentioning what's in the movie), take a drink. You would be passed out from alcohol poisoning before the full hour and 29 minutes were up.

Watched Thumbsucker yesterday afternoon while I caught up on some ironing. Superb cast, and an interesting story sensitively told. I liked it. (Hey, I'll put it out there right now - I sucked my thumb till I was 12. Maybe I identified with the protagonist.)

Useless trivia: Keanu Reeves plays an identity-challenged orthodontist who dabbles in new age practices in this movie. Later on in the evening, I happened to flip onto Something's Gotta Give, in which he plays a doctor in an ER. WTF - I had no idea Keanu was being typecast as a medical professional. All props to him - I'm not a professional actor and he is - but I still can't get over how dumb he sounded in The Matrix when he snaps his eyes open and says in surprise, "Now I know kung-fu!" (Coda to this story: the guy I saw The Matrix with sat with me in Washington Square Park afterwards and said, "Sometimes I wish Keanu would just keep his mouth shut and look gorgeous!" P.S. This was a man I was dating. P.P.S. But not for long.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home