Saturday, March 04, 2006


Why is it that washing your car can actually raise your outlook a little?

I took the Kia for a bath and rinsed off all the salt and filth from her paint and she seemed to sit up a little straighter. Okay, I'm making that up, but all the same it feels better to look at her. Despite how cold it is I am convinced the quality of the sunlight nowadays is definitely more spring than winter. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, so hopefully this is the last salt-rinsing the car will need.

This puts me in mind of seasonal memory, a favorite theme of mine. When you're shivering at a bus stop in January, it seems like a summer day would be a welcome thing, and you bask in the thought. Interestingly, I have tried to implant memories of good moments for just such occasions. One successful memory was of standing at the water line on Point Pleasant one late summer night when the moon was full and letting the waves lap at my bare feet. That's come in handy a few times, I can assure you.

Of course, when you take your mini-vacation in your head, you're concentrating on the good stuff. You're probably forgetting the persistent stickiness that is August, or sunburn on your shoulders. You can't wait to wear flip flops, but you won't remember the weirdness of having a thong between your toes for the first time (I usually get a blister there the first few times I wear them). The mind plays tricks on us. Not that that's a bad thing.

I'm going to crank the heat here in Stacey's Fortress of Solitude (SFOS) and go try on some flip flops RIGHT NOW to make sure I don't forget how.

At any rate here's a pic of a park near SFOS where I hike sometimes. I know for a fact that the day this was taken it was in the high 80s and I was glad to get my boots off and lie down in the grass for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home